Thursday 6 October 2011

Charlie


Charlie, originally uploaded by DrFireball.

Fantastic opportunity to learn from the "Big Dog" himself, Mr Damian McGillycuddy. Without a doubt the best workshop I have been on and this was represented by the seriousness of the ability of the other photographers there.

This was taken using an interesting studio set up - namely a bare bulb El BXRi shooting through some toughspun attached to a man made "window" in the studio. Having intially taken shots using this as a key light we then moved on to adding a key with a beauty dish and feathering the light.

The biggest things I learnt included real attention to detail in posing the model so that her pose is believable in the context of the setting. I realise that thsi may sound self evident but real skill and thought are required.

The other great thing I learnt was odd fact that light coming towards the camera (from lights positioned as rim lights for example) are perceived as brighter by the eye than as measured by the light meter.

Lastly I saw the improtance of shooting with smaller apertures when using flash than I typically do.

All in all great and I am pleased that Damian has agreed to mentor me - onwards and upwards :-)

Til next time

DrF

No comments: